Restitutor is the pride of <SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE>

What would you like to see from a new Arcator.co.uk?

MalHiru's picture

Update by Curtis:

We have decided to make a v2 of this website, We are currently making the list of resources we need on the new website. If you would like to add something to the list please post it in the comments of this post.

Hello everyone. There is a good chance that we're on the brink of another Arcator Revival, having got RestitutorOrbis and cindercrow7 on the case. They have already got the server updated to Minecraft 1.8.7.

This website, arcator.co.uk, runs on Drupal version 6. It has approached the end of its life, - I wouldn't expect it to be around for more than a year - meaning that continuing to run it will be a security risk. Updating a Drupal site to a new version can be painful even with a simple site, and we have a lot of custom code running here that doesn't necessarily make use of Drupal's module system properly. I wouldn't expect any of it to work properly on Drupal 7 or 8 without some heavy rewriting, which I'm not sure would be worth the time or effort (and I'm not sure I could really provide either).

So that means my plan is to save all the pages on this site and its other sections (Stream, Quotes, Wiki) and host them as a static archive (think Wayback Machine - archive.arcator.co.uk) for future reference, and put together a new Drupal site.

I'm interested in not only providing a site for information about Arcator and Minecraft, but making a place for Arcator's long time members and community to talk about other games and interests. That could mean - along with a new Stream and server status updates section - having a better forum or maybe a Reddit-style subcommunity system going. A lot is possible. What do you want out of this site?

RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

If I can help I wouldn't mind using this an opportunity to learn more about coding for websites. That is I won't mind figuring out how to port everything to Drupal 8 regardless of how much time it takes (MC1 perms took forever). I already know a few programming languages and I wouldn't mind learning more.

There are a few small issues such as how editing a stream post results in an extra blank line being inserted every other line. I'd also request for any kind of change for the Quotes section such as allowing the user to see quotes they voted up or down.

Furthermore, being able to automate some of the forms in MC Ban posts could be done by analyzing console logs. We'd just need to check the ban command and run /manwhois on the player who created the ban.

n/a
Dweson's picture
Name: Dweson (Dweson)
Offline
Colonel
Joined: Jan 4 2011
Posts:

I would like the new site to include a dedicated turtle appreciation mode, where u click it and everything in the site becomes a turtle, including both sea turtles, fresh water turtles and tortoise.

I like turtles. I like trains too. Therefore I like train-turtles!

MalHiru's picture
Name: MalHiru (MalHT)
Offline
Prestige 9
Joined: Dec 11 2010
Posts:

RestitutorOrbis wrote:

If I can help I wouldn't mind using this an opportunity to learn more about coding for websites. That is I won't mind figuring out how to port everything to Drupal 8 regardless of how much time it takes (MC1 perms took forever).

Your help would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if we'll move to D7 or D8 (it depends if the modules we'll need are available for D8 when it's released) but I think much of the existing code is not worth porting in either case. We could migrate over the content from the database, and you may be able to help quite a lot there if you're up for trying it...

n/a
Fela's picture
Name: Fela (N/A)
Offline
Prestige 9
Joined: Dec 12 2010
Posts:

malachy wrote:

Your help would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if we'll move to D7 or D8 (it depends if the modules we'll need are available for D8 when it's released) but I think much of the existing code is not worth porting in either case. We could migrate over the content from the database, and you may be able to help quite a lot there if you're up for trying it...

Just don't give anyone SSH access please. No more Kieraanclobbering.

n/a
MalHiru's picture
Name: MalHiru (MalHT)
Offline
Prestige 9
Joined: Dec 11 2010
Posts:

fela wrote:

Just don't give anyone SSH access please. No more Kieranclobbering.

Of course. Learnt that one the hard way, didn't we?

I was thinking more along the lines of access to source control.

n/a
Name: Kieraan (KieraanBreeze)
Offline
Command Sergeant Major
Joined: Dec 16 2010
Posts:

Sad

I was young and stupid and full of those weird hormone things.

RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

Kieraan wrote:

Sad

I was young and and full of those weird hormone things.

Any way you could bring back BobbyTables (source code release too?).

n/a
Ace_X's picture
Name: Ace_X (Ace_X)
Offline
Captain
Joined: Aug 26 2011
Posts:

We need a forum specifically dedicated to making short single sentence posts about butts.

In all seriousness though, a steam group would be nice, if we don't already have one. I don't really touch minecraft anymore but I'd be happy to play other games with old pals.

:I

RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

Ace_X wrote:

We need a forum specifically dedicated to making short single sentence posts about butts.

In all seriousness though, a steam group would be nice, if we don't already have one. I don't really touch minecraft anymore but I'd be happy to play other games with old pals.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Arcatorcommunity

n/a
SK83RJOSH's picture
Name: SK83RJOSH (SK83RJOSH)
Offline
Colonel
Joined: Dec 20 2010
Posts:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Arcator

That also exists and has existed for a ridiculous amount of time lol

Pigboy501's picture
Name: Pigboy501 (Pigboy501)
Offline
Colonel
Joined: Jan 14 2011
Posts:

I want a beautiful statue erected in my honor. Also download links to world archives please Smile Big

n/a
RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

Pigboy501 wrote:

I want a beautiful statue erected in my honor. Also download links to world archives please Smile Big

I spoke with cinder about world archives while we updated to 1.8. The past 3 years of worlds apparently take up only 5gb of space.

n/a
SK83RJOSH's picture
Name: SK83RJOSH (SK83RJOSH)
Offline
Colonel
Joined: Dec 20 2010
Posts:

RestitutorOrbis wrote:

I spoke with cinder about world archives while we updated to 1.8. The past 3 years of worlds apparently take up only 5gb of space.

I assume some of those are outdated world formats though, so I wonder if updating them would cut down on space? Not to mention a lot of the data is probably repetitive garbage (as in, duplicated data) that should compress fairly well depending on the format.

/me shrugs

RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

SK83RJOSH wrote:

I assume some of those are outdated world formats though, so I wonder if updating them would cut down on space? Not to mention a lot of the data is probably repetitive garbage (as in, duplicated data) that should compress fairly well depending on the format.

/me shrugs

Once we're able to download the backups, I'll try setting up a script to generate an isometric map. With one backup for every 4 hours, we'll get a nice timelapse of the entire server for the past 3 years.

Assuming that the backups start at February 1st 2012, 30,552 hours have passed.
fela makes a backup every 4 hours, so ideally we'd have 7,638 backups from which to generate isometric maps.
If we run the video at 24fps, we'll get about 318 seconds of video from these maps.

That means we can probably expect a 5 minute video in which 4 days pass by every second. The only issue will be that we need to find a way to center all the images over the same area for the video.

n/a
Name: MineMeh (minemeh26)
Offline
Private First Class
Joined: Feb 17 2016
Posts:

Voting for the server would be a great way to gain popularity. I strongly believe that we should also add Crates, these crates could include Donator, Vote, Daily, Weekly, Mod, Admin, and so on.

Name: Patolini (Patolini)
Offline
First Leiutenant
Joined: Aug 30 2015
Posts:

id kinda like a thing wut shows all the current players with there head
So u type a name up and it shows em and some things about them like Are they banned rank etc
id also like a thing wut shows u wut players are on mc1/mc2/mc3/mc4/mc5/mc6/mc7/mc8/mc9/mc10/mc11/any mc
Also last thing: A new redone map thing wut shows where players are and shows the warps and all

ok
im a banana
HYPE
DURR PLANT

RestitutorOrbis's picture
Name: RestitutorOrbis (Restitutor)
Offline
Princeps
Joined: Aug 24 2014
Posts:

Patolini wrote:

id kinda like a thing wut shows all the current players with there head
So u type a name up and it shows em and some things about them like Are they banned rank etc
id also like a thing wut shows u wut players are on mc1/mc2/mc3/mc4/mc5/mc6/mc7/mc8/mc9/mc10/mc11/any mc
Also last thing: A new redone map thing wut shows where players are and shows the warps and all

It's all doable and could be added as part of the stats page. I'll probably procrastinate though.

n/a